Friday 12 September 2014

Researching Unsuccessful Music Videos

In terms of music videos I have decided to research various unsuccessful music videos. I looked at 3 main ones in which I took note of the various unsuccessful points and aspects which I could find.

Video Number 1;
When watching video number one I found that the editing of the video wasn't very consistent and didn't flow properly. I found that the editing pace didn't match the pace of the song nor did it match up to the beat of the song which meant that it didn't flow along with the fact that there was lack of continuity which meant that it didn't fulfill the conventions of a music video.
Also when watching the video the lighting was poor which meant the it was difficult to see what was happening throughout the video, which meant as an audience I lost focus on the video and didn't really want to keep on watching it, also when the lighting was okay it meant that I could see the locations etc which also was poor and wasn't relevant to the song as-well as having no narrative which again lost my interest in the video and meant I didn't understand the point in half of the filming.
Finally the camera angels and focus was poor meaning again it was difficult to see and understand what was the video and footage was about. I also found that due to using the camera/camcorder handheld it meant the footage was unsteady.
Overall I found that the whole video was poor due to the lack of conventions and various aspects of the video.
Also within the video I found that they used conventional scenes; such as the band in concert/ in a gig. However they didn't play the music over it or have the recording of them actually singing which made it lack conventions in some respect.

Video Number 2;

When watching video number two I found that the editing of the video wasn't very consistent again like the first video and again it didn't flow properly. I found that due to the overuse of a green screen the video had poor use of background in which also didn't match to the genre of music (rock) and the background didn't match to the lyrics of of the song. I found that the cast for the band in the video was poor as they wasn't very motivated in performing which let the video down as they wasn't very engaging with audience. Also to add to the cast, the costume and makeup choice was poor as they wear dressed in casual clothes instead of the stereotypical rock costumes they had no make-up on. When watching the video the cinematography was poor as the framing was poor along with the simple fact there was a random quote placed within the video which had no relevance to that point in the song.

Video Number 3;

When watching video number three I found that the framing throughout was poor and that the location choices were again poor in that fact that they didn't change it was all filmed in the same location with no change of costume or props. When watching the video they had tried to place flashing lights in to make the editing match the beat however there was no need and the flashing was irrelevant and didn't match the narrative. The good point was that you could tell that there was a narrative however it was poorly portrayed and it became to repetitive. When watching the video I found that the shots where to long which meant when trying to keep the audience engaged it didn't work, and they failed to use direct mode of address to the audience. I think if they had have used direct mode of address the narrative would have been more emotional and engaging to the audience. Also when watching the factors that the narrative didn't really go anywhere it just cut off and repeated points and scenes that we had already watched.


What I have learnt from this;

When watching unsuccessful videos I learnt that editing is the key and that despite how amazing the footage may be if you have poor editing your video will not be successful, also if your editing pace isn't in line with the music beat etc. It will again look poor and will not be as successful as it could be. I also learnt that when filming framing and camera shots are key, Its best to use a variation such as long shot, medium shot , close up etc. I found that the unsuccessful videos tended to stick to 1 or 2 shot types. Also in order to make the video look more professional the camera must be focused unless its a shot the is out of focus on purpose. I found that in order to engage an audience you must use direct  mode of address and must keep the narrative flowing, without letting it cut of and go "dead or repetitive". Also costume, props and make-up are key as the allow the audience to establish the type of music genre in which the song is based, it also allows the audience to establish the type or role or character they are playing within a narrative.When watching unsuccessful music videos one of the other keys is the location choice all three above had poor location choice as-well as one only using one location for the whole video this lost the audiences interested and meant they wasn't sympathetic to the narrative. I found that in unsuccessful videos it looked as-if everything was filmed last minute which showed when the location choices was poor and didn't fit the narratives or music genre.

What I Plan to do in my music video:

When creating my video I plan to;

  1. Research my music genre to enable myself to understand the various types of costume etc. 
  2. Test various shots and ensure I use at least 2 or more
  3. Find locations & take note of them and then ensure they fit my narrative
  4. Find a reliable Actor
  5. Schedule a filming, editing , make-up etc timetable
  6. Write up my narrative and ideas for each shot,so both me & my actor understand the point in the shot.
  7.  Make sure I film shots numerous times to give my self enough footage to work with.
  8.  Try to use a variety of  conventions.
  9.  Ensure my narrative and actor engages with the audience throughout
  10.  Lip-syncing, ensure I use it at least twice within my video.


No comments:

Post a Comment