Saturday 13 September 2014

Researching Successful Music Videos

In terms of music videos I have decided to also research various successful music videos. I looked at 3 main ones in which I took note of the various successful points and aspects which I could find.

Video Number 1;
When watching video number one I found that the editing was all in time with the beat of the song and was fitting to the song. Aswell as the editing the special effects used, was fitting to the song and matched the beat, this allowed the video to flow and meant that the video used conventions throughout. In terms of mise-en-scene the costume choice, fitted the narrative and music genre, it meant that the as an audience I understood whom the characters where and who they are in relation to each other. Aswell as costume; the choice of location also matched the narrative which also meant that the audience understood the whole narrative and understood where the characters where in terms of within the narrative. I found that the song choice matched the narrative which meant that overall the video kept my full focus throughout. I found that the full video was conventional and has so many thing to point out as successful such as; the cast whom where very realistic and put in a lot of effort to keep the narrative and engage the audience enticing them into their love story. I also found that their use of cinematography was brilliant and their framing was successful as they ensured they didn't cut people out of shots and ensured they established locations and the axis of action was clear so as an audience I understood the relationship between the characters.

Video Number 2;

When watching video number two I found that the editing pace of the video was very consistent again like the first video and again it flowed properly and was appealing to the eye. I found that in terms of mise-en-scene the costume choice, again fitted the narrative, as well as the choice of location which again also matched the narrative which  meant that the audience understood the  narrative as whole. I found that in terms of the narrative, it was engaging to the audience and enabled to keep a consistent story the only point which let this video down was the repetition within, it meant at certain points the audience's focus was lost. However the video ensured that despite the repetition it used good lighting to ensure shots were visible and their use of cinematography was good as well as their framing which was successful as they ensured they didn't cut people out of shots and ensured they established locations.


Video Number 3;

When watching video number three I found that again their use of cinematography was brilliant and their framing was successful as they ensured they didn't cut people out of shots and ensured they established locations . I found that their location choice was also very effective as it matched the narrative. I found that they had chosen successful mise-en-scene the costume choice, fitted the narrative and music genre, they had also used successful make-up which portrayed the emotions well; I think their chosen actor was brilliant and pulled of the performance which allowed the whole video o be successful.


What I have learnt from this;

When watching successful videos I learnt that editing is the key and that despite how amazing the footage may be if you have poor editing your video will not be successful. also if your editing pace isn't in line with the music beat etc. It will again look poor and will not be as successful as it could be. I also learnt that when filming framing and camera shots are key, Its best to use a variation such as long shot, medium shot , close up etc. I found that the unsuccessful videos tended to stick to 1 or 2 shot types. Also in order to make the video look more professional the camera must be focused unless its a shot the is out of focus on purpose. I found that in order to engage an audience you must use direct  mode of address and must keep the narrative flowing, without letting it cut of and go "dead or repetitive". Also costume, props and make-up are key as the allow the audience to establish the type of music genre in which the song is based, it also allows the audience to establish the type or role or character they are playing within a narrative.When watching unsuccessful music videos one of the other keys is the location choice all three above had poor location choice as-well as one only using one location for the whole video this lost the audiences interested and meant they wasn't sympathetic to the narrative. I found that in unsuccessful videos it looked as-if everything was filmed last minute which showed when the location choices was poor and didn't fit the narratives or music genre.

What I Plan to do in my music video:

When creating my video I plan to;

  1. Research my music genre to enable myself to understand the various types of costume etc. 
  2. Test various shots and ensure I use at least 2 or more
  3. Find locations & take note of them and then ensure they fit my narrative
  4. Find a reliable Actor
  5. Schedule a filming, editing , make-up etc timetable
  6. Write up my narrative and ideas for each shot,so both me & my actor understand the point in the shot.
  7.  Make sure I film shots numerous times to give my self enough footage to work with.
  8.  Try to use a variety of  conventions.
  9.  Ensure my narrative and actor engages with the audience throughout
  10.  Lip-syncing, ensure I use it at least twice within my video.



No comments:

Post a Comment