Thursday 16 October 2014

Demographics


When creating a product as a producer we must understand the demographics of our target audience, whom we wish to aim and sell our product to. The use of demographics is helpful in creating a product as it influences the pricing, packaging, promotion and place of sale sell.

As a provider I must ensure I have done sufficient research and I must engage with the demographics of my target audience otherwise I could create a product which doesn't fit my target audience.
In the 21st century it has come to the attention of producers and marketers that its not so much essential to aim for a mass audience but more so to target a more niche or smaller more specific audience.


When looking at demographics I must understand my target audiences  age, gender, income and education this allows me as a marketer to understand which audience is most likely a person is to buy my product.


The image below is a demographics table taken from Google.
From this table we can see that Class A is the upper class, from further research I know that these are the people with higher paid jobs or families, who have the ability to afford much more high end products than that of a Class D.
Due to the factor that I work in a call center on certain jobs I need to understand demographics and understand the class types, The middle class is usually those working just below the upper class, this being those whos bosses are those in the upper class, middle class are usually those who are at a comfortable position with money and life and can afford high end products just not as regularly as the upper class.
Next is the lower middle class- C1, these are not usually referred to as they usually tie in with middle class.
Below these are the skilled working class -Class C2 and working class- Class D, the skilled working class tend to be people who have qualifications in jobs of a lower standard than those in middle class, the working class are those who are unskilled manual workers meaning they can do their job without qualifications.
Finally is Class E - this is those who some would say are the lowest and are the worst of in terms of money and luxury these are often pensioners or those on benefits.

My target audience will fall in Class D/E due to the factor that they are students and will either have part-time jobs or no job at all meaning they fall into the lowest bands in the demographics table. This means my album cannot be massively expensive and will need to be appealing to a younger audience. 

In terms of being a producer/marketer it is essential to understand that you would not be able to spend a-lot of money on production, distribution etc of an album and digipak if your appealing to Class C2 and below as the Class/Demographic table shows a clear indication that this audience have low income.
I must consider this myself when thinking about Production, Distribution, Marketing and Promotion.

No comments:

Post a Comment